Monday, February 14, 2011

Gratitude

I know this is way off topic, but dealing with the death of a family member while reading the left (and some on the right) gloating about the death of Jerry Falwell, all coming on the heels of Hitchens' puerile attacks on religion, has turned my thoughts to spiritual matters, so forgive me for leaving aside my usual political topics for a moment to ask one question:

I love how those who don't believe in G-d argue that suffering proves G-d is cruel. Think about it. If you assume G-d gave you life, how is it possible to blame him that it wasn't perfect? If you get a gift, do you say "You know there is a better version, why didn't you get me that?" Not quite a gracious response. Assuming you believe in G-d, isn't it enough that he gave you life at all? Or does he have to give you a life meeting every one of your requirements before it is "good enough"?

And, having asked, I will return to my usual, more political topics.

As I said in the comments to my previous post, as soon as things settle down from the funeral etc. I expect to finally post my first somewhat substantive post.

Originally Posted in Random Notes on 2007/05/24.

No comments:

Post a Comment