Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Upcoming Posts

Well, for a while I was writing regularly, but it seems recently things have fallen off again, not even the reposts form my old blog that filled space a week ago or so. So, in hopes of forcing myself to complete the large number of half-finished essays, I am going to list them here with a brief description so I will feel obligated to wrap them up:

Against the Neo-Luddites and Anti-Automation Rhetoric - Inspired by a comment I posted on a LinkedIn essay, I will look at the repeated claim that automation will destroy the job market. I will compare it to past claims about various technologies and also look at why robotics and automation are not any different from those. 
The Popular Misunderstanding of Economics - This will look at number of common economic mistakes I overheard while my son listened to Youtube videos. Everything from smuggling in the labor theory of value to improper applications of cost and value. I will not strictly limit myself to the videos that inspired it, but will deal mostly with errors I have encountered frequently in popular media. 
The Supposed Impossibility of Privatization - One more time I will try to make my case that private enterprise can do almost everything done by government today. As I argued before in "Of Wheat and Doctors", we are so used to everything being done by the state, we cannot imagine many asks being done privately. Yet, in the case I hope to use as an example, a function thought impossible to privatize for two centuries is now routinely done privately, by many competing firms, for a considerable profit. 
Common Law Contra Neo-Isolationism - This will look at how some common law concepts argue that our entire legal system argues against the interpretation given the Constitution by the neo-isolationists (or "non-interventionists" as they call themselves). 
Free Market and Federalist Confusion - Sadly, not only opponents, but often supporters of these two theories present distorted pictures of them. Often, then efforts of supporters to oversell the benefits of federalism and the free market provide ammunition for the detractors. So, to make clear precisely what are the benefits and shortcomings of each, I will describe both in detail, as well as debunking some popular mistakes. Along the way, I shall also make the case that, even viewed in this more sober light, they both still do provide the greatest benefits of any political and economic theories. 
Fear Driven Enterprises Part 2 - Initially this was intended to look at my essay "Fear Driven Enterprises", and see how the incentives and behaviors I described explain some events in the fiasco taking place in Flint. However, since starting, I think I may expand and look at a series of events which illustrate my point. (Don't worry, I won't use the FDA this time, I think I finally did that to death when I posted "Nonsensical Regulation".) 
Medical Regulation III - I hope to make the same case I did in "Medical Regulations" and "Medical Regulation II", but from a very different perspective. In this case I hope to demonstrate, on a cost-benefit basis, that by the very definitions of those supporting medical regulation, the system fails. 
Hollow Argument - Another essay inspired by my son's Youtube viewing, this time a video discussing libertarianism.  Though not a libertarian myself, I share enough of their views I found some of the arguments rather specious. Of course,a s with anything assembled by would be journalists, they had to do the "pros and cons" after the "informative" bit, and while they got the definitions mostly right, and the pros as well, the very first con was such a strange criticism, based on such an odd premise, I simply had to reply.
There are a few other partially finished essays in my queue, but these are the ones I feel are mostly likely to be completed, so I am not going to bother describing the rest.

With any luck, I shall make my way through these sometime in the next week, or week and a half. That is, if posting these descriptions manages to motivate me to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment