Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Biggest Spelling Nazi Laugh of the Day

A phrase we keep hearing in the discussion of the Trump candidacy is "lesser of two evils". We hear Trump defenders saying "even if you don't like him, he is the lesser of two evils", we hear opponents saying "I am tired of voting for the lesser of two evils" and skeptics -- myself included -- saying "how do we know he is the lesser of two evils?" With the phrase being bandied about so much, you would think the proper spelling of those words would be seared into the minds of any person following politics. And yet, today on Townhall's comments, I found the following:
...when you ID the lessor of two evils...
Now, how on Earth did someone come up with that one? I grant, spell check would not choke on it, as "lessor" is a real word, but who could not properly spell "lesser"? Does he really mean "someone who leases two evils"?

Well, it gave me a little chuckle today anyway.

POSTSCRIPT

By the way, I want to make clear, as I have elsewhere, that I do not believe in the "I am sick of voting for the lesser of two evils" school of thought. If we must choose, then obviously the less evil is the best choice. IN this case, I refuse to vote for Trump, not because of this reasoning but (1) because I am not convinced he is better than Hillary, most notably because while both are bad, he is inconsistent and bad, which is more dangerous than wrong and consistent. (2) by electing him we end up tarring the entire right with his actions and beliefs, which may do more harm than four years of Hillary and (3) given the unusual situation of two incredibly unpopular candidates, both possibly facing court cases during the election cycle, there is a chance for a third party ot make a decent showing.


No comments:

Post a Comment