Sunday, June 5, 2016

(Off Topic) A Question for Readers

I recently began to wonder about something. It is nothing important, but it has been puzzling me, so I decided to ask.

When did men, at least in England and the US, begin the practice of always wearing hats outdoors? And when did it stop?

I can sort of answer the second, as the practice seems to have fallen off in the early part of the 1960s, though obviously some continued for quite some time afterward.

But when did it begin? I suppose I could look at historical paintings and get an idea, but a lot are posed, and so just because the subject is wearing a hat does not mean it was a universal practice at the time. So, if anyone knows, could you write in the comments and let me know when wearing hats became the common practice?

Thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment